2023 Street Maintenance Project
Project Update: June 29, 2023
Seal Coating Begins July 6
On Thursday, July 6, seal coating will take place along Monroe Drive west of Jonathan Carver Parkway (weather permitting). This work includes the application of a new coat (or seal) to pavement to provide protection against sun, water, oils, salt and other damaging elements. This helps extend the roadway life. Seal coating will finish by the end of the week or sooner.
Pavement striping will take place within two weeks of seal coating. Pavement striping is the marking (or painting) of center lines, lane lines and edge lines on the road.
There may be some delay traveling through this area. Flaggers will be on-site directing traffic during the seal coating process. No parking is allowed during working hours (7 a.m. - 7 p.m.) on Thursday and Friday.
When pavement striping begins, motorists are asked to avoid Monroe Drive if possible.
May 2023 Update
Beginning the week of May 8, mill and overlay work will start for the 2023 Street Maintenance Project. Improvements include pavement rehabilitations in the River Oaks neighborhood. Mill and overlay work will take place on the following streets: Butternut Circle, Sibley Circle, Adam Circle, Riesgraf Road, Foster Avenue, and Fullerton Avenue.
Increased construction traffic is anticipated on 4th Street. Please use caution when driving through this area. Minor impacts to access will occur throughout the project, but roadway and driveway access will be maintained to residents throughout construction.
After reviewing the 2023 project areas alongside the adjacent 2024 project areas on the north side of 4th Street West, constructability benefits were identified in completing the 4th Street West reclamation work in 2024 after all the internal development streets are completed. This will eliminate the potential of damage to occur to 4th Street West with construction operations. Due to these benefits, reclamation along 4th Street West corridor, between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Elm Drive, will be deferred to the 2024 Street Maintenance Project. The remaining neighborhood streets as originally identified in the 2023 plan will still be mill and overlayed in 2023.
The City of Carver currently owns and maintains approximately 27 miles of local streets within the city. As these streets continue to age and new streets are added, it’s important to approach street maintenance in a strategic fashion to extend pavement life as long as possible.
The City Council recognized the need for a standard approach to street maintenance and adopted its first Pavement Management Plan in the fall of 2021. The five-year plan began in 2022, with a focus on the Eagle Ridge neighborhood. In 2023, mill and overlay will take place on streets south of 4th Street West between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Riesgraf Road. A second portion of the project includes seal coating along Monroe Drive (west of Jonathan Carver Parkway). Street maintenance is anticipated to begin spring/summer 2023.
This street maintenance project is paid for by the City’s Pavement Management Plan, with no assessments proposed to residents within the project areas.
The City hosted an Open House on October 13, 2022. A summary of the discussion themes was prepared following the meeting: Open House Summary.
During the fall of 2022, Engineering and Public Services staff reviewed the project area and gather topographic survey information for the project. Soil borings occurred in various locations in the roadway as well. Project construction is anticipated to begin in spring/summer 2023.
Overview of Proposed 5-year Pavement Management Plan:
2022 - Complete
- Reclamation: Debbie Lane, Debbie Circle, Griffin Street and Griffin Circle
- Mill and overlay: Skyview Lane
- Seal coat protection: White Pine Way west of Jonathan Carver Parkway, and Broadway between 6th Street and 4th Street
- Reclamation: 4th Street between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Elm Drive - DEFERRED TO 2024
- Mill and overlay: Butternut Circle, Sibley Circle, Adam Circle, Riesgraf Road, Foster Avenue and Fullerton Avenue
- Seal coat protection: Monroe Drive west of Jonathan Carver Parkway
- Reclamation: 4th Street between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Elm Drive
- Mill and overlay: North of 4th street along Sibley Street, Groff Street and Gilfillan Avenue.
- Seal coat protection: Kirche Hill Drive between 6th Street and High Street, and High Street between Kirche Hill Drive and 4th Street
- Reclamation: Carver Bluffs Parkway between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Ramsey Avenue
- Mill and overlay: Ridgecrest Drive and Ramsey Avenue east of Carver Bluffs Parkway, Ramsey Circle, Carver Bluffs Parkway south of Ramsey Avenue, Overlook Drive and Overlook Lane.
- Seal coat protection: Ironwood Drive west of Jonathan Carver Parkway and 6th Street West between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Broadway Street
- Reclamation: Mount Hope Road between Chaska Boulevard and 4th Street West, Ridgecrest Drive east of Carver Bluffs Parkway, and Ramsey Avenue between Carver Bluffs Parkway and Ramsey Lane
- Mill and overlay: Woodview Circle, Woodview Court and Carver Creek Place
- Seal coat protection: 4th Street West between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Elm Drive and Riesgraf Road south of 4th Street West
Note: Project areas identified within this 5-year Pavement Management Plan will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Engineering Department and modified as needed based on field observations.
Schedule: To be completed in Summer 2023.
Project Location: Monroe Drive (west of Jonathan Carver Parkway) and streets south of 4th Street West between Jonathan Carver Parkway and Riesgraf Road.